Sleeping Lady and the land it occupies enjoy a rich and storied past. From the area’s Native American roots, to the 1930s when it was home to Camp Icicle and the Civilian Conservation Corps, to its role today as a leading Northwest destination – Sleeping Lady embodies the natural beauty and history of Leavenworth and the Wenatchee Valley. For a chapter or two of Sleeping Lady’s story, enjoy the following video:
Below is a brief history of the land…
- 1800s to 1900s: Known as "Na-sik-elt", or Narrow Bottom Canyon, The Yakama and P'squosa Native American tribes were the first human inhabitants of the site known as "Na-sik-elt", or Narrow Bottom Canyon, that eventually became home to Sleeping Lady. The P'squosa tribe is now recognized by the Yakama name for them - Wenatchi.
- 1930s to 1940s: The site was home to the 983rd Company of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and was known as Camp Icicle. The barracks and buildings housed 200 young men and many of these structures remain on the site today.
- 1940s to 1950s: In 1946, the CCC cabins were redeveloped into a private, family-oriented ranch named Icicle River Ranch.
- 1950s to 1990s: The property was sold to the Yakima Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in 1957 and renamed Camp Field. It operated as a camp for young people, ages eight and up and as an off-season adult retreat center. Honor Plaques, awarded to one lodge at the final campfire of each session adorn walls in Flicker and Salmon Gallery.
- 1990s to Present: In 1991, the property was once again put up for sale and Harriet Bullitt, longtime owner of neighboring property, purchased all 67 acres to preserve the land. Bullitt named the property Sleeping Lady after the mountain profile above the narrow valley. Historical and environmental considerations saved all eighteen of the original buildings for the new site plan. In 1994, the buildings were remodeled to meet or exceed current building and energy codes and new buildings were constructed to blend in with the original style. Sleeping Lady welcomed its first guests in August 1995.